“He’s just not a good person to me,” the 33-year-old said in an interview with Australian radio station KIIS 1065 on Monday. “We’ve clashed. He’s just not a good guy to me.”
The pop star also made clear that while she worked with him earlier in her career, just as Kesha did, it was only because her record label, RCA, forced her.
“I only worked with him — even the last time I worked with him — because literally I got blackmailed by my label,” she said. “They were like, ‘We will not put your album out if you don’t do this.’”
While Clarkson said she could not speak to the allegations of sexual assault that have been leveled against the producer — “I wasn’t there,” she said — she did address his lack of trustworthiness and character.
“He’s a talented dude but he’s just lied a lot,” she explained. “I’ve run into a couple really bad situations. Musically, it’s been really hard for me because he will just lie to people. It’s like, ‘What?’ It makes the artist look bad. He’s difficult to work with, kind of demeaning, it’s kind of unfortunate … Obviously the dude is a talented guy but character-wise, no.”
As Vulture points out, last month the singer posted a not-so-cryptic tweet in which she made clear where she stood on the issue, saying she wouldn’t talk about Dr. Luke since she had nothing good to say about him.
— Best Coast (@BestCoast) February 19, 2016
Last month Kesha, 29, was ordered to keep recording with Dr. Luke, 42, even though she had accused him of rape. Since then, a number of celebrities have stepped up to show their support for the “Die Young” singer, including Taylor Swift, who donated $250,000 for legal expenses, and Lena Dunham.